Argumentative Essay Guide
Argumentative Essay Topics
Last updated on: Nov 20, 2023
Argumentative Essay Topics - Compelling Ideas to Get Started
By: Jared P.
18 min read
Reviewed By: Melisa C.
Published on: Oct 22, 2019
Are you about to write an argumentative essay but still confused about the topic?
Argumentative essays help students learn more about the subject matter of a particular course. This kind of writing is a genuine key to learning argumentative skills. You must pay attention to your subject while choosing a strong topic for your essay.
But what if you don’t even know what to write about?
Don’t worry! Here is a list of topics and tips to help you decide on the perfect topic for your argumentative paper.
So read on and make choosing a topic easier!
On this Page
Argumentative Essay Topics for students
Argumentative essay writing is one common academic assignment that almost every student will get to draft. In order to help the students, we have prepared a list of argumentative topic ideas. Pick a topic that works the best for you.
Argumentative Essay Topics for Middle School
- What age is suitable for kids to start schooling?
- Should students be allowed to evaluate their teachers?
- Metal music should be banned due to its violent lyrics.
- What are the pros and cons of making friends virtually?
- Can we conserve energy as a society?
- Does playing violent video games contribute to making a person violent in real life too?
- How close is reality TV to real life?
- Do girls face more societal pressure than guys?
- What is the biggest challenge faced by students today?
- Should there be cash rewards for getting a good score on standardized tests?
- The rich should pay more taxes than the poor.
- Cartoons are better than movies.
- Teachers Vs. Parents: who plays a bigger role in shaping a child?
Argumentative Essay Topics for Grade 6
Here are some argumentative essay topics for 6th-grade students:
- Should schools start later in the morning?
- Is confining wild animals within zoos a cruel practice?
- Should there be stricter laws for texting and driving?
- Are social media sites like Facebook and Twitter bad for our society?
- Should the voting age be lowered to allow young people a voice in democracy?
- Should the school year be longer or shorter?
- Is it okay for children to play violent video games?
- Should cell phones be banned from schools?
- Should recycling become a mandatory practice in all households?
Argumentative Essay Topics for 7th Graders
- Should schools provide free meals to all students?
- Are uniforms necessary for student success?
- Does standardized testing accurately measure student progress?
- Are after-school activities important for student development?
- Is there too much emphasis on social media in education today?
- Should schools place a stronger emphasis on physical education?
- Are required classes in high school helpful or harmful to students?
- Should all students have access to laptops and tablets in the classroom?
- Is technology taking away from traditional learning methods in the classroom?
- Should gym classes be mandatory for students?
Argumentative Essay Topics for Grade 8
Looking for argumentative essay topics for teenagers? Check out the ideas below:
- Should the drinking age be lowered? Should the death penalty be abolished?
- Is it necessary for governments to fund childcare?
- Is there too much emphasis on standardized testing in schools?
- Are schools doing enough to prevent bullying from happening?
- Do adolescents need more sleep than adults?
- Should students be allowed to have cell phones in school?
- Is social media affecting the way we interact with each other?
- What should be done about the student loan crisis?
Argumentative Essay Topics for High School
- Is homeschooling better than the public school educational system?
- Smartphones help the learning process.
- Is co-education more advantageous than single-sex education?
- Are GMOs safe for human consumption?
- Is fast food healthy or a serious threat to physical health?
- Teenagers feel more comfortable talking on social media rather than face to face.
- Should it be legal to get a tattoo for kids younger than 18?
- Are standardized tests beneficial for school students?
- A negative high school experience you believe is important when it comes to personality.
- Does the education system prepare a student for the real world?
- Is there life after death?
- Our society works on gender equality.
- Subjects that should be removed from the high school program.
- Is hate crime growing in high school?
Argumentative Essay Topics for College Students
- Is the current taxation system effective or not?
- Are men paid more than women in our corporate sector?
- Should Shakespeare still be studied as part of the college curriculum?
- Is college tuition becoming way too expensive?
- Are test scores the only way to judge the competency of a student?
- Getting a College degree is worth the cost.
- Is the system of the electoral college still viable in the US?
- Youngsters on social networks don’t realize the significance of privacy on these online sites.
- Life is incomplete without faith.
- Students nowadays face greater social pressures compared to the past.
- Your past does not define you.
- What can be done about gun control in the United States?
- Is it ethical to genetically modify children to protect against diseases?
- Do we need more gender diversity in STEM programs?
Paper Due? Why Suffer? That's our Job!
Argumentative Essay Topics for University Students
- Should mental health services be made available for free?
- Is income inequality a necessary part of capitalism?
- Should the minimum wage be raised in all countries?
- Does technology have a positive or negative impact on mental health?
- Should universities be allowed to charge students for taking classes?
- Is it necessary for governments to fund space exploration?
- Should religion be taught in public schools?
- Are animal experiments necessary for medical progress?
- Should young students join a political party to enhance the democratic process?
- Does free speech help promote extremism in society?
Argumentative Essay Topics for O Levels
- Should the government regulate the use of social media?
- Is the death penalty an effective way to prevent crime?
- Are online classes replacing traditional courses in schools?
- Do standardized tests accurately measure academic achievement?
- Should abortion be legalized in all countries?
- Do celebrity role models have a positive or negative influence on young people?
- Should school uniforms be mandatory in all schools?
- Should the Internet be censored by governments around the world?
- Should GMO foods be allowed in supermarkets?
- Does free trade help or harm developing economies?
Discover Captivating Topics in a Click!
Best Argumentative Essay Topics
Just as important as it is to create compelling content, choosing a great topic is equally important. If you want to score well in academics, you will have to impress your instructor with the best argumentative essay topics.
Below are some great topic ideas for you related to different fields. Choose the right topic for your essay and start the process.
Sports Argumentative Essay Topics
- Can video gamers be counted as true athletes?
- By participating in sports, can children be kept out of trouble?
- Should girls be allowed to participate in the same sports as boys?
- Should alternatives to steroids be legalized for professional athletes?
- Do you consider cheerleading a sport?
- Does your College spend a lot of money in the name of sports programs?
- Student-athletes should get money for playing.
- Betting on sports should be illegal.
- Sports events shouldn’t broadcast alcohol and tobacco ads.
- Are female athletes looked upon as sexual objects by the media?
- All athletes should be tested for drugs before their performance.
- Females should not be allowed to take part in extreme sports.
- Impact of bodybuilding on a woman’s body in old age.
Argumentative Essay Topics Education
- Parents should have an active role in their child's education.
- The grading system shouldn’t exist to judge a student’s abilities.
- Standardized tests should be abolished in schools.
- All students must wear a uniform in high school.
- Does technology benefit the educational system?
- Studying in a single-sex class is better than studying in a mixed one?
- All students must be made to learn a foreign language?
- Programming should be made compulsory for all students.
- Should students have sex education classes at school?
- Should schools have the right to test students for drugs?
- Girls should be equally encouraged to take part in sports in school.
- The world should have a uniform language.
- Hard work isn’t enough for being successful in a student’s life.
- Should teachers be allowed to physically discipline their students?
- How to bring change in the education system of the United States?
Social Media Argumentative Essay Topics
- Are social networks an effective platform for communication?
- Do people really get a job through LinkedIn?
- Is Facebook legally allowed to leak the private information of its users?
- Is it possible to earn a good amount of money from YouTube?
- Should Facebook, WhatsApp, and Twitter be banned permanently?
- Social media has successfully increased employment rates.
- Celebrity endorsements are unethical.
- Social media has destroyed real-life communication.
- Social media has made doing business easier.
- Blogging is an irrelevant profession.
- How is social media depicting beauty standards?
- How has social media become a major source of inferiority complex among teenagers?
- Is it possible to have a life without social media at this time?
- Should underaged children be allowed to own social media accounts?
- Pros and cons of social media.
Argumentative Essay Topics Technology
- Are cell phones harmful to the human race?
- Are spy applications invading the privacy of users?
- Are Millennials more dependent on computers than Baby Boomers?
- Is Typescript the future of front-end development?
- The impact of microwave tech on our biology.Technology has made us lazier.
- Should coding be taught from middle school?
- Cognitive Computers like Watson are unethical.
- Should a candidate’s social media profiles be considered in the hiring process?
- Children shouldn’t be given personal mobile phones.
- Self-driving cars and the future of transportation.
- Has technology made people less efficient?
- Technological advancements in the field of psychology.
- Is the future in the hands of Artificial Intelligence?
- Pros and cons of depending a lot on technology.
American History Argumentative Essay Topics
- What was the impact of European colonization on Native Americans?
- What was the role of women in the movement toward revolution?
- What were the key causes of the American Revolution?
- The key issues that caused conflict between North and South and led to the civil war?
- The effects of the Great Depression on the banking industry in America.
- Did the Civil Rights Movement reduce or lead to racial violence?
- Post World War II, how did America grow?
- 21st-century American foreign policy.
- Is Barack Obama the first American president who made history?
- Was slavery an inevitable part of the development of American society?
- Should the Indian Removal Act be considered an act of genocide?
Mental Health Argumentative Essay Topics
- Are antidepressants overprescribed in modern society?
- Should mental health services be made free for all?
- Is social media affecting mental health negatively?
- Is there a stigma attached to seeking out mental health help?
- What role do genetics and environment play in determining mental illness?
- Can art and music therapy be effective treatments for mental illness?
- How can we tackle the stigma associated with mental illness?
- What can be done to reduce the prevalence of anxiety in young people?
- Should there be mandatory mental health education in schools?
Social Issues Argumentative Topics
- Should male workers receive paternity leave too?
- Is age a major factor in relationship success or failure?
- Is torture acceptable under any circumstance?
- What are the primary causes of down syndrome?
- What should the punishments be for failed parenting?
- A candidate’s appearance shouldn’t be considered in a job hiring process.
- Some common stereotypes in your society.
- Cheating is increasing every day.
- We are way too dependent on computers and technology.
- Is boredom the cause of getting into trouble?
- Beauty magazines should stop photoshopping models.
- Capitalism vs. socialism. What would benefit society more?
- Is the women’s rights movement justified?
- The real objectives of Feminism.
- Impact of homosexuality on society.
Argumentative Essay Topics Animals
- Hunting for fun and sports is unethical and must get banned.
- Aggressive dog breeds such as pit bulls should not be allowed as pets.
- Testing beauty products on animals is justifiable.
- Using monkeys for research in labs is a necessary evil.
- Wearing fur and leather shouldn’t be unethical.
- Is genetic modification of livestock beneficial?
- Animal dissection in medical school is a good way to learn.
- Owning pets reduces the risk of getting diseases. Do you agree?
- Emotional support animals can truly help lonely people.
- Keeping exotic animals as pets is inhumane.
- Stronger laws must be enforced against animal cruelty.
- Pros and cons of animal testing.
- How can the emotional support of animals help in treating mental problems?
- Significance of microchipping the pets.
- Rights enjoyed by the ESA owners.
Argumentative Research Paper Topics
- Ways to decrease childcare costs in the United States.
- Are literate people better parents?
- Challenges faced by female politicians.
- Is rehab effective for sex offenders?
- Is music a form of real art?
- Spanish is a simple language to learn.
- Schools should ban vending machines on-campus.
- Are teachers to blame when a student performs poorly?
- Are gender stereotypes encouraged by parents?
- Illegal immigrants and terrorism: is it related?
- Can imposing a tax on sugar help fight obesity.
- Should age be a factor in relationships?
- Do dreams have a symbolic meaning?
- Should South and North Korea become one?
- Can depression be cured using natural ways?
Unique Argumentative Essay Topics
Looking for some general argumentative essay topic ideas? Here is an ultimate list of great topics that can make your essay writing fun for you and your readers.
Controversial Argumentative Essay Topics
- Should same-sex marriage be legal in all 50 states within the United States of America?
- Is the feminist movement ruining the minds of young girls?
- Corruption and its effects on increasing wages.
- Hunting should be banned globally. Do you agree?
- Which is more beneficial for society, Communism or Capitalism?
- Should human cloning be allowed or not?
- Abortion – A pro-life or a pro-choice?
- Do anti-discrimination laws reinforce discrimination?
- Should patients be entitled to request medically-assisted suicide in cases of terminal illness?
- Can beauty standards be more inclusive?
- Workplace dating should not be allowed, and here’s why.
- Displaced immigrants and refugees should be given shelter by every country.
- Is vegan or vegetarian life good for health?
- Online dating has ruined the essence of old-school romance.
- Chocolate can help improve our bad mood.
- Is it ethical to eat meat?
- Mothers make better parents naturally.
- Politics can never be clean and fair.
- Should the drinking age be lowered?
Easy Argumentative Essay Topics
- Are girls more intelligent than boys?
- Parents of middle schoolers should control their internet.
- Was Johnny Depp the best choice for Burton’s Ed Wood?
- Do religious movements cause the outbreak of war?
- Are human beings the major source of global climate change?
- Is it ethical to have kids perform chores?
- Is using LEDs making a difference?
- How does being a vegan help the environment?
- Should teenage marriages be allowed?
- Social media has brought families closer. Is there any truth to this statement?
- If the House of Lords had veto power over the House of Commons, Britain would’ve been better off.
- It’s okay to date multiple people at the same time.
- HIV is falsely associated with homosexuals. Why?
- Why are the laws neglecting tobacco and alcohol?
- Most of the modern-time artists are one-hit wonders.
Fun Argumentative Essay Topics
- Is panda hugging a viable career option?
- Does Justin Bieber owe his success to negative PR?
- Is it true that a way to a man’s heart is through his stomach?
- Is the Bermuda Triangle a real thing?
- Is it okay for parents to lie to their children about Santa Claus?
- Did the feminist movement ever help you?
- How did the feminist movement ever help you?
- There is no such thing as organic food.
- How to make your roommate believe that moving out is the best option.
- Why should I join a different family?
- Fans should not judge players after losses or failures.
- Is social promotion a helpful practice?
- Is racism a natural condition of human society?
- Dieting must not be practiced by schoolers.
- Should tattoos be perceived as a social deviation?
Tough Essay Due? Hire Tough Writers!
Argumentative Essay Topics 2022
- Are US elections always fair?
- Is the death penalty an effective punishment for criminals?
- Is it wise to replace soldiers with machines and artificial intelligence on battlefields?
- Should animals be used for performing experiments?
- Effects of terrorism on the foreign policy of the United States of America's cosmetic surgery worth the risks?
- What is your point of view on a terminally ill person having the right to assisted suicide?
- Life 100 years ago was much easier than it is today.
- Is religion a factor that contributes to war?
- A woman who doesn’t have enough resources to raise a child to be allowed to abort?
- Physical activities are the most convenient way to relax.
- The best way to enhance education is to decrease the number of classes.
- Sports classes should become mandatory for everybody.
- The pros and cons of using gadgets for studying purposes.
- What is the most important socio-political movement of the modern era?
Argumentative Essay Topics 2023
The following are some amazing topics for argumentative essays. Have a look at them to get a better idea.
- Fast food is responsible for childhood obesity in the US.
- Is the United States ready for a female president?
- Parents need to be very friendly with their kids.
- Are smartphones harmful to our health?
- Education needs to be free for all.
- Is single-sex education still a good idea in 2020?
- Should all people pursue a university degree worldwide?
- Internet access must be unlimited and free.
- Modern education has to eliminate grading systems.
- Capitalism should acquire more socially significant policies.
- Tourist tax is mandatory to save cultural heritage.
- Kindergartens must introduce foreign language instruction.
- Is hunting good for environmental well-being?
- Using animals for research must be banned.
- Women perform better than men in official positions and occupations.
Choosing a Good Argumentative Essay Topic
So you know the importance of choosing the right topic when writing an argumentative essay.
But what are you going to write about?
You sure don’t want to pick an argumentative essay topic that everyone else is working on. And you don’t want to research an argumentative topic where information and data are impossible to find.
You hopefully want to write on a debatable topic that will interest both you and your reader. Here are the criteria we use to choose a topic for argumentative essays:
- It has to be interesting to the writer. You’ll be outlining, researching, and writing in-depth, so pick an engaging topic for your argument.
- Have some information to begin with. The more familiar you are with the subject area, the easier it will be for both you and the reader.
- The best argumentative essay topics are mostly controversial. If there’s no conflict and everyone agrees on everything, it won’t qualify as an argumentative essay.
- An arguable thesis statement can be created according to the topic.
What Makes a Good Argumentative Essay?
A good argumentative essay is one that presents a well-reasoned and logical argument. It should be supported by facts and evidence, not just speculation or opinion. To create an effective argumentative essay, the writer must provide a strong case for their position on any given topic.
Strong Introduction and Thesis
The first element of a good argumentative essay is an interesting and clear introduction. This should introduce the topic in a way that engages readers and makes them want to learn more.
It should also provide an overview of the writer's position on the issue, as well as any evidence they will be using to support their argument.
Good Research and Evidence
Good argumentation requires good evidence. So a good argumentative essay should be backed up by research and evidence.
If a writer is making an assertion, they must provide evidence to back it up. This could include physical evidence such as statistics or quotes from experts in the field, as well as logical arguments that support their position.
The structure of an argumentative essay is also important. It should be structured in a way that makes it easy to follow and understand.
This could include using headings, subheadings, and bullet points to break up the text into more manageable pieces. In addition, it should have a clear flow of ideas, with each paragraph logically leading to the next.
Finally, a good argumentative essay should have an effective conclusion. This should provide a summary of the writer's main points and reiterate their position on the issue. The conclusion should also leave readers with something to think about, leaving them informed and with new insight.
After reading our list, don’t be surprised if your mind starts coming up with additional topics for an argumentative essay. We recommend that you keep a notebook or journal handy to record these topic ideas for later.
These were some of the most interesting essay topics . Did you find a topic to write on?
Now, before you overwhelm yourself by jumping straight to the writing process, we have a helpful tip for you. Go through this detailed article to learn how to craft an argumentative essay effectively.
Seeking help from professionals is nothing to be ashamed of, especially when your grades are at stake. It is quite common for some students not to have a knack for writing. Also, some might not have the time to complete assignments.
If you can relate to such students, you should consider taking help from a reliable essay writing service such as 5StarEssays.com . You can simply request ‘ write my essay '. And we will have an expert essay writer to provide you with high-quality assignments regardless of type and field.
Or, use our AI Essay Generator , for AI powered writing help to guide your way!
Masters Essay, Literature
Jared P. is a renowned author and writing service provider with over fifteen years of experience in the publishing industry. He has a Ph.D. degree in English Literature and has spent his entire career helping students achieve their academic goals by providing expert writing assistance.
Was This Blog Helpful?
- Learn How to Write an Argumentative Essay
- How to Create a Strong Argumentative Essay Outline?
- Informative Argumentative Essay Examples by Experts
- Know About Types of Argument with the Help of Examples
People Also Read
- learn how to write descriptive essay
- improve writing skills for high school students
- college application essay
- classification essay
- what is a topic sentence
Burdened With Assignments?
© 2023 - All rights reserved
- Homework Services: Essay Topics Generator
2000+ SATISFIED STUDENTS
95% Satisfaction RATE
30 Days Money-back GUARANTEE
95% Success RATE
© 2023 5StarEssays.com. All rights reserved.
LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
- LOG IN Processing...
SIGN UP TO YOUR ACCOUNT
- Your phone no.
- Password Password must be minimum 8 characters.
- Confirm Password
- SIGN UP Processing...
- SEND PASSWORD
- Lynch Educational Consulting
- Dr. Lynch’s Personal Website
- Write For Us
- The Tech Edvocate Product Guide
- The Edvocate Podcast
- Terms and Conditions
- Assistive Technology
- Best PreK-12 Schools in America
- Child Development
- Classroom Management
- Early Childhood
- EdTech & Innovation
- Education Leadership
- First Year Teachers
- Gifted and Talented Education
- Special Education
- Parental Involvement
- Policy & Reform
- Best Colleges and Universities
- Best College and University Programs
- Higher Education EdTech
- Higher Education
- International Education
- The Awards Process
- Finalists and Winners of The 2022 Tech Edvocate Awards
- Finalists and Winners of The 2021 Tech Edvocate Awards
- Finalists and Winners of The 2020 Tech Edvocate Awards
- Finalists and Winners of The 2019 Tech Edvocate Awards
- Finalists and Winners of The 2018 Tech Edvocate Awards
- Finalists and Winners of The 2017 Tech Edvocate Awards
- Award Seals
- GPA Calculator for College
- GPA Calculator for High School
- Cumulative GPA Calculator
- Grade Calculator
- Weighted Grade Calculator
- Final Grade Calculator
- The Tech Edvocate
- AI Powered Personal Tutor
Teaching Students About Morphology
Teaching students about north korea’s capital, teaching students about the poynting vector formula, teaching students about the thai language, teaching students about the list of books in the new testament, teaching students about the intendant system, teaching students about horntoads, teaching students about the democritus model of the atom, teaching students about coefficient of selection, teaching students about the term nerve fiber, 100+ argumentative essay topics.
Are you a student looking for argumentative essay topics? If so, we have you covered. Below you will find a list of the best argumentative essay topics.
Argumentative Essay Topics (General)
- Do you think that abortion should be made illegal?
- Do you think that animal testing should be banned?
- Is the #metoo movement a great thing?
- Do you think that manufacturers are responsible for the effects of the chemicals used in creating their products?
- Do you think that illegal immigrants be granted residency?
- Is there a fake news problem? What is the source?
- Do you believe that “big pharma” has people’s best interests at heart?
- Is the death penalty a just punishment?
- Are there moral concerns that make genetic cloning illegal?
- What Do you think that people do to stop human trafficking?
Argumentative Essay Topics About Politics
- Which political party has the right ideology?
- What Do you think that be done to reduce income inequality?
- Is paying down the US deficit the most essential issue of our time?
- Do you believe that the Federal Reserve needs to stop printing money because it creates an unsustainable bubble?
- Is capitalism the best economic system?
- Is socialism the best economic system?
- Is America ready for a female president?
- Do you think that an elected leader represents the interests of their own political party, or is it best to try to compromise?
- What modern political decision has created the most change?
- Do you believe that campaign finance reform works?
Argumentative Essay Topics About Society & Culture
- When will LGTBQ individuals experience equality?
- Is healthcare a fundamental human right?
- Do you think that TV censors explicit content because programmers must produce family-friendly programming?
- Social media brings us together and pulls us apart; Do you believe that the great outweighs the bad or vice versa?
- Is a gap year time for exploration and reflection or a year-long vacation?
- Many states have begun to decriminalize the possession of certain drugs like marijuana; is this a great idea?
- Equality is part of lawmaking, but do you believe that it works in practice?
- Do you think that people have the right to own a gun?
- In cases of terminal illness, Do you think that a patient should be able to request medically assisted suicide?
- Do you think that smoking should be illegal?
- What is the best way to foster positive conversation about controversial issues?
Argumentative Essay Topics About History
- Many people think that we learn from the past, but there are many patterns in history. Do you think history repeats itself?
- How did the US Civil War make the nation best or worse?
- Thomas Jefferson made considerable contributions to the founding of America, both as a writer and a politician. However, he didn’t live a perfect life. Was he a hero?
- Do you believe that our modern perspective changes the “truth” of what happened during major historical events?
- Pick a past decade and discuss if lower socio-economic classes had opportunities at that time.
- Did the handling of Native Americans leave a moral stain on the US?
- Slavery was a foundational part of the American colonies and, later, the United States. So how did this injustice change the nation?
- What factors led to the rise of Naziism in Germany and to the Holocaust?
- The plague destroyed the population of Europe and changed the course of history. So what was its biggest lesson?
Argumentative Essay Topics for Kids in Elementary School
- Do you think that there be commercials in kids’ programs?
- Do you believe that homework help kids learn?
- Do you think that school should be all year?
- Do schools treat girls and boys the same way?
- Do you think that parents limit screen time?
- Do you think that school start before eight o’clock in the morning?
- Do you think that kids be able to vote in national elections?
- Is it best to read fiction or nonfiction?
- Is it best for kids to have distance learning or be in school?
- Do parents treat all their kids the same way, or do they treat the oldest and youngest differently?
- Do you think that kids have the same teacher every year or switch teachers each year?
- Do you think that video games be a sport?
- Are schools doing enough to stop bullying?
- Do you think that kids have homework on weekends?
- Is it best if three generations of a family live together?
- Are hot dogs bad for you?
- Do you think that school lunch should include vegetables, even if Many kids don’t like them?
- Is it okay to eat dessert before dinner?
Argumentative Essay Topics for Middle School
- Do you think that middle schoolers have jobs like babysitting or mowing lawns?
- Are beauty pageants a great idea?
- Are violent video games bad?
- Do you think that parents be able to say whether kids can dye their hair?
- Do you believe that social media do more harm than good?
- Do middle schoolers have too much homework?
- Do you think that teachers get paid more?
- Is life more challenging for your parent’s generation or yours’?
- Why is your favorite musical artist best than anyone else?
- Do you think that kids read age-appropriate books, or is it okay to read grown-up books?
- Do you think that there be ratings (like G, PG, and R) for movies?
- Is it best to ride the bus or walk to school?
- Is school lunch great for kids?
- Do you believe an hour of reading or an hour of exercising is better?
- Do you think that gym class should be required?
- Do you think that kids get paid for getting excellent grades?
- Is it best to have class over the computer or in person?
- Is cyberbullying as big of a problem as in-person bullying?
- Do you think that all cars be electric?
Argumentative Essay Topics for High School
- Do you think that people be allowed to burn the flag?
- Do you think that parents get in trouble for truancy if kids don’t go to school?
- Is social media bad for relationships?
- Do you think that businesses be required to hire for diversity?
- Are women and men treated equally?
- Do you think that the minimum wage should be raised?
- Do you think that everyone should go to college?
- Is climate change a real threat?
- Are wind farms benefitting the environment and economy?
- Do you think that people be allowed to wear fur of any kind?
- Is it a bad idea to use your DNA for genealogy?
- Do you think that parents should decide they don’t want medical treatment for their kids?
- Is the United States falling behind other nations in terms of education?
- Do the actions of a nation’s leader influence the actions of the people?
- Do you think that the electoral college should be abolished?
- Do you think that schools be required to offer art courses?
- Do you think that all new cars be electric?
- Will AI help the world or hurt it?
- Do you think that high school pupils work during the school year?
- Are there forms of personal expression that you think should be allowed in schools?
Argumentative Essay Topics for College
- Are men and women equally emotional?
- Are printed books best than e-readers?
- Do you think that the drinking age should be lowered?
- Are parents responsible for childhood obesity?
- Do you think that college should free?
- Do you think that beauty standards be more inclusive?
- Are all college majors equally essential?
- Is social media bad for kids?
- Has technology changed our definition of magic?
- Is it worth exploring space?
- Do you think that all internships be paid?
- Do you think that income should be tied to the cost of a degree?
- Is climate change the biggest threat to the world?
- Is feminism still essential?
- Has society made the needed reparations for slavery?
- Do you believe that elections should be decided by the popular vote?
- Should everyone be entitled to free health care?
- Do anti-discrimination laws protect disabled pupils?
- Is a degree from an online college or university as legitimate as a degree from a brick-and-mortar university?
- Is it a conflict of interest for an instructor or professor to require pupils to purchase his book?
100+ Persuasive Essay Topics
2023 best online doctorate in educational technology.
Related articles more from author.
20 Tips for Teaching Kids to Use Learning Materials Appropriately
8 Fun Ways to Help Your Students Collaborate in the Classroom
How to Implement the Text Frame with Gaps Teaching Strategy in Your Classroom
Activities to Teach Students Rotational Symmetry
The Big List of Student Contests and Competitions
For Aspiring Teachers Only: Are You a Specialist?
- Link to facebook
- Link to linkedin
- Link to twitter
- Link to youtube
- Writing Tips
50 Argumentative Essay Topics for Students
- 11th June 2022
The goal of an argumentative essay is to persuade the reader to understand and support your position on an issue by presenting your reasoning along with supporting evidence. It’s important to find the right balance between giving your opinions and presenting established research.
These essays discuss issues around a range of topics, including science, technology, politics, and healthcare. Whether you’re a teacher looking for essay topics for your students or a student tasked with developing an idea of your own, we’ve compiled a list of 50 argumentative essay topics to help you get started!
● Does texting hinder interpersonal communication skills?
● Should there be laws against using devices while driving?
● Do violent video games teach or encourage people to behave violently?
● Should social media sites be allowed to collect users’ data?
● Should parents limit how long their children spend in front of screens?
● Is AI helping or hurting society?
● Should cyber-bullying carry legal consequences?
● Should Supreme Court justices be elected?
● Is war always a political decision?
● Should people join a political party?
● Is capitalism ethical?
● Is the electoral college an effective system?
● Should prisoners be allowed to vote?
● Should the death penalty be legal?
● Are governments around the world doing enough to combat global warming?
● Is healthcare a fundamental human right?
● Should vaccinations be mandated for children?
● Are there any circumstances under which physician-assisted suicides should be legal?
● Should parents be able to choose specific genetic modifications of their future children?
● Should abortion be legal?
● Is it ethical to perform medical experiments on animals?
● Should patients who lead unhealthy lifestyles be denied organ transplants?
● Should doctors be able to provide medical care to children against their parents’ wishes?
● What causes the stigma around mental health?
● Discuss the link between insufficient access to mental health services and the high suicide rates among veterans.
Find this useful?
Subscribe to our newsletter and get writing tips from our editors straight to your inbox.
● Should cannabis be used as a treatment for patients with mental disorders?
● Is there a link between social media use and mental disorders?
● Discuss the effect of physical activity on mental health.
● Should sports be segregated by gender?
● Should male and female athletes be given the same pay and opportunities?
● Are professional athletes overpaid?
● Should college athletes be paid?
● Should sports betting be legal?
● Should online access to art such as music be free?
● Should graffiti be considered art or vandalism?
● Are there any circumstances under which books should be banned?
● Should schools be required to offer art courses?
● Is art necessary to society?
● Should schools require uniforms?
● Should reciting the Pledge of Allegiance be required in schools?
● Do standardized tests effectively measure intelligence?
● Should high school students take a gap year before pursuing higher education?
● Should higher education be free?
● Is there too much pressure on high school students to attend college?
● Are children better off in two-parent households?
● Should LGBTQ+ partners be allowed to adopt?
● Should single people be able to adopt children as easily as couples?
● Is it okay for parents to physically discipline their children?
● Does helicopter parenting help or hurt children?
● Should parents monitor their children’s Internet use?
Proofreading & Editing
An argument could also be made for the importance of proofreading your essay ! The reader can focus more on your message when your writing is clear, concise, and error-free, and they won’t question whether you’re knowledgeable on the issues you’re presenting. Once you have a draft ready, you can submit a free trial document to start working with our expert editors!
Share this article:
Post A New Comment
Got content that needs a quick turnaround? Let us polish your work. Explore our editorial business services.
How to Add a Video to Google Slides
In today’s digital age, engaging and interactive presentations are a great way to capture your...
How to Convert a PDF to PowerPoint
Creating engaging and visually appealing presentations is something that most professionals, as well as students,...
How to Get a Medical Writing Job
Medical writing is a niche branch of writing that focuses on creating content related to...
How to Cite a PowerPoint in APA
If you want to use information from a PowerPoint presentation in your essay, you’ll need...
What Is a Press Release?
In the fast-paced world of modern marketing, effective communication is essential for businesses looking to...
How to Add Music to Google Slides
In the world of presentations, adding a touch of music can transform a dull slideshow...
Make sure your writing is the best it can be with our expert English proofreading and editing.
- Share full article
300 Questions and Images to Inspire Argument Writing
Recent Student Opinion and Picture Prompts, categorized by topic, to help students discover the issues that matter to them.
By The Learning Network
Update: This list is available as a PDF .
If you’ve taught argument writing with our resources in the past, you already know we ask a fresh question every day as part of our long-running Student Opinion series . Teenagers around the world are invited to visit and post their thoughts on topics including politics, medical ethics, fashion, sports and entertainment.
We’ve rounded up lists of these prompts in the past, but this year we’re doing something new: Below you can find a categorized collection of all our recent, relevant Student Opinion questions, but alongside them we’re also including related Picture Prompts. These short, image-based forums are accessible to learners of all ages, but still provide engaging jumping-off points to help students make and support claims.
For instance, let’s say your class is interested in meme culture. A Student Opinion question asks, “ Do Memes Make the Internet a Better Place? ” and invites students to read and weigh in on a New York Times article that examines the role of memes in how teenagers process world events. Over 700 students have already submitted their thoughts .
But if you scan the “Technology and Social Media” category below, you’ll see we also have a Picture Prompt that asks a more direct, concrete question: “ What are your favorite memes? ” For many, that may be a fun, comfortable place to start.
So give your students both “voice and choice” by inviting them to find the questions and format that speak to them. All the prompts below are still open for comment. We look forward to seeing which ones inspire the most passionate arguments, and we invite your class to submit the results to our Eighth Annual Editorial Contest .
Argumentative Prompt Topics
Technology & social media, coronavirus, college & career, mental & physical health, race & gender, parenting & childhood, ethics & morality, government & politics, other questions.
1. How Worried Should We Be About Screen Time During the Pandemic? 2. How Do You Feel About Cancel Culture? 3. Do Memes Make the Internet a Better Place? 4. Does Online Public Shaming Prevent Us From Being Able to Grow and Change? 5. How Young Is Too Young to Use Social Media? 6. Where Should We Draw the Line Between Community Health and Safety and Individual Liberty and Privacy? 7. Do You Think Online Conspiracy Theories Can Be Dangerous? 8. What Do You Think of the Decision by Tech Companies to Block President Trump? 9. Should the Adults in Your Life Be Worried by How Much You Use Your Phone? 10. Is Your Phone Love Hurting Your Relationships? 11. Do You Trust Facebook? 12. Do You Think Recreational Drones Are Safe? 13. Should Kids Be Social Media Influencers? 14. Does Grammar Still Matter in the Age of Twitter? 15. Should Texting While Driving Be Treated Like Drunken Driving? 16. How Do You Think Technology Affects Dating?
17. Online Video Games : Does more need to be done to make online gaming communities safer? 18. A Computer in Everything : Do “smart” devices worry you? 19. Snail Mail : Do you think handwritten cards and letters still have value in the digital age? 20. Cyberbullying : Should social media companies do more to prevent online harassment? 21. Phone Manners : Are there times when you think using your phone while you’re with other people is rude? 22. Alarm Clocks : Are there any “dumb” devices that you think are better than “smart” devices? 23. Phone Warnings : Should tech devices come with addiction advisories? 24. Phones in Church : Are there some places where phones just don’t belong? 25. Driverless Cars : What do you think about driverless cars? 26. Texting While Walking : Should looking at your phone while crossing the street be illegal? 27. Device Addiction? : As a society, are we too addicted to our devices? 28. ‘A Man Needs His Nuggs’ : What do you think of Carter Wilkerson’s quest, and its results? 29. Soothing Video Games : Can video games intended to calm the mind be fun? Worthwhile? 30. Our Lives on Social Media : How much do you think we can judge our collective happiness by what is posted on social media? 31. ‘Bracelet of Silence’ : Would you wear privacy armor? 32. Baby Yoda : What are your favorite memes? 33. Tesla’s ‘Cybertruck’ : What do you think of this “pickup of the future”? 34. The ‘Bird Box’ Challenge : What do you think of social media challenges like this one?
35. Should Media Literacy Be a Required Course in School? 36. Should Schools Be Able to Discipline Students for What They Say on Social Media? 37. How Should Schools Hold Students Accountable for Hurting Others? 38. Should Schools Provide Free Pads and Tampons? 39. Can Empathy Be Taught? Should Schools Try to Help Us Feel One Another’s Pain? 40. When the Pandemic Ends, Will School Change Forever? 41. Should Schools Change How They Grade Students During the Pandemic? 42. Should Students Be Monitored When Taking Online Tests? 43. Should There Still Be Snow Days? 44. How Should Racial Slurs in Literature Be Handled in the Classroom? 45. Should Teachers Be Allowed to Wear Political Symbols? 46. Should Schools or Employers Be Allowed to Tell People How They Should Wear Their Hair? 47. Are Straight A’s Always a Good Thing? 48. Should Schools Teach You How to Be Happy? 49. How Do You Think American Education Could Be Improved? 50. Should Schools Test Their Students for Nicotine and Drug Use? 51. Can Social Media Be a Tool for Learning and Growth in Schools? 52. Should Facial Recognition Technology Be Used in Schools? 53. Should Your School Day Start Later? 54. Should Yearbooks Include Political News? 55. How Should Senior Year in High School Be Spent? 56. Should Teachers Be Armed With Guns? 57. Is School a Place for Self-Expression? 58. Should Students Be Punished for Not Having Lunch Money? 59. Is Live-Streaming Classrooms a Good Idea? 60. Should Gifted and Talented Education Be Eliminated? 61. What Are the Most Important Things Students Should Learn in School? 62. Should Schools Be Allowed to Censor Student Newspapers? 63. Do You Feel Your School and Teachers Welcome Both Conservative and Liberal Points of View? 64. Should Teachers and Professors Ban Student Use of Laptops in Class? 65. Should Schools Teach About Climate Change? 66. Should All Schools Offer Music Programs? 67. Does Your School Need More Money? 68. Should All Schools Teach Cursive? 69. What Role Should Textbooks Play in Education? 70. Do Kids Need Recess? 71. Should Public Preschool Be a Right for All Children?
72. Graduation in a Pandemic : Is your school doing enough to honor seniors? 73. Most Challenged Books : Are there books that don’t belong in schools or public libraries? 74. Mascot : If you could choose one mascot to represent your school, what would it be? 75. Math : How do you feel about math? 76. Sleep Deprivation : Do you think school should start later for teenagers? 77. Standardized Tests : Is there too much testing at your school? Why or why not? 78. Teacher Walkouts : Do you think teachers should be paid more? Why or why not? 79. Mermaid School : If there could be a special school that would teach you something you really want to learn, what would that school be?
Article-Based Prompts 80. What Weaknesses and Strengths About Our World Are Being Exposed by This Pandemic? 81. As Coronavirus Cases Surge, How Should Leaders Decide What Stays Open and What Closes? 82. How Should We Balance Safety and Urgency in Developing a Covid-19 Vaccine? 83. Do You Want Your Parents and Grandparents to Get the New Coronavirus Vaccine? 84. Do You Think People Have Gotten Too Relaxed About Covid? 85. How Do You Feel About Mask-Slipping?
86. Surge : How should the United States keep the coronavirus pandemic at bay? 87. Masks : What “civic rules” do you think we should all follow now? 88. Paid to Laugh : Would you attend a live TV show taping — if you got money for it? 89. Dolly’s Donation : How do you feel about celebrity philanthropy? 90. Crowds and Covid : How do you feel about crowds during the pandemic? 91. Going Nowhere Fast : Would you take a flight to nowhere?
92. Should Students Be Required to Take the SAT and ACT to Apply to College? 93. Should National Service Be Required for All Young Americans? 94. What Is Your Reaction to the College Admissions Cheating Scandal? 95. Is the College Admissions Process Fair? 96. Should Everyone Go to College? 97. Should College Be Free? 98. Are Lavish Amenities on College Campuses Useful or Frivolous? 99. Should ‘Despised Dissenters’ Be Allowed to Speak on College Campuses? 100. How Should the Problem of Sexual Assault on Campuses Be Addressed? 101. Should Fraternities Be Abolished? 102. Is Student Debt Worth It? 103. Do Other People Care Too Much About Your Post-High School Plans? 104. Should All Young People Learn How to Invest in the Stock Market?
105. Jack-of-All-Trades : Is it better to focus on one thing early in life and get really good at it?
106. Should Students Get Mental Health Days Off From School? 107. Is Struggle Essential to Happiness? 108. Does Every Country Need a ‘Loneliness Minister’? 109. Should Schools Teach Mindfulness? 110. Should All Children Be Vaccinated? 111. What Do You Think About Vegetarianism? 112. Do We Worry Too Much About Germs? 113. What Advice Should Parents and Counselors Give Teenagers About Sexting? 114. Are Emotional-Support Animals a Scam? 115. Do You Believe in Manifesting?
116. Optimism : Is your glass half-empty or half-full? 117. Cursing : Is it ever OK, useful or even healthy to curse? Or is it always inappropriate? 118. Anger Rooms : Do you think places like this are a good idea?
119. What Is Your Reaction to the Days of Protest That Followed the Death of George Floyd? 120. How Should Parents Teach Their Children About Race and Racism? 121. Is America ‘Backsliding’ on Race? 122. Should All Americans Receive Anti-Bias Education? 123. Should All Companies Require Anti-Bias Training for Employees? 124. Should Columbus Day Be Replaced With Indigenous Peoples Day? 125. Is Fear of ‘The Other’ Poisoning Public Life? 126. Justice Ginsburg Fought for Gender Equality. How Close Are We to Achieving That Goal? 127. What Should #MeToo Mean for Teenage Boys? 128. Should There Be More Boy Dolls? 129. Should the Boy Scouts Be Coed? 130. What Is Hard About Being a Boy?
131. Fashion-Show Diversity : What other industries or aspects of life need more diversity? 132. A Town’s New Seal : Why do you think Whitesboro, N.Y., decided to change its seal? 133. Gender Expectations : Do you ever find gender expectations or norms confining? 134. Women’s History Month : What does this holiday mean to you? 135. Boys and Men : What does it mean to “be a man”? 136. Women in Movies : Should some movies dominated by male actors be remade with largely female casts? 137. Unisex Clothing : Should clothing labeling be unisex? 138. Feminism : Do you consider yourself a feminist? 139. Gender and ‘Genderless’ : Do you think that gender is binary?
140. What Are the Greatest Songs of All Time? 141. Should Museums Return Looted Artifacts to Their Countries of Origin? 142. How Do You Feel About Censored Music? 143. What Role Should Celebrities Have During the Coronavirus Crisis? 144. Can You Separate Art From the Artist? 145. Are There Subjects That Should Be Off-Limits to Artists, or to Certain Artists in Particular? 146. Should Art Come With Trigger Warnings? 147. Should Graffiti Be Protected? 148. Is the Digital Era Improving or Ruining the Experience of Art? 149. Are Museums Still Important in the Digital Age? 150. In the Age of Digital Streaming, Are Movie Theaters Still Relevant? 151. Is Hollywood Becoming More Diverse? 152. What Stereotypical Characters Make You Cringe? 153. Do We Need More Female Superheroes? 154. Do Video Games Deserve the Bad Rap They Often Get? 155. Should Musicians Be Allowed to Copy or Borrow From Other Artists? 156. Is Listening to a Book Just as Good as Reading It? 157. Is There Any Benefit to Reading Books You Hate?
158. Hologram Musicians : Which departed artists would you like to see perform live? 159. Movie Theaters : In the age of digital streaming, are movie theaters still relevant? 160. ‘The Image of the Revolution’ : What is it about this photograph that makes it so powerful? 161. Book Covers : What are your favorite book covers? Why? 162. Fashion Trends : What are your favorite fashion trends? What trends do you hate? 163. Fashion Comebacks : What trends from the past would you like to see revived? 164. Murals : Can art be an act of resistance? 165. An 18-Karat Throne : Is this art? 166. A Hug Seen Around the World : Why do you think this image became so popular so quickly? 167. The Role of Public Broadcasting : Do you think programs like “Sesame Street” make the U.S. smarter, stronger and safer? 168. Best Books? : What have you read and loved this year?
169. Should Girls and Boys Sports Teams Compete in the Same League? 170. Should College Athletes Be Paid? 171. Are Youth Sports Too Competitive? 172. Is It Selfish to Pursue Risky Sports Like Extreme Mountain Climbing? 173. How Should We Punish Sports Cheaters? 174. Should Technology in Sports Be Limited? 175. Should Blowouts Be Allowed in Youth Sports? 176. Are Some Youth Sports Too Intense? 177. Does Better Sports Equipment Unfairly Improve Athletic Ability? 178. Is It Offensive for Sports Teams and Their Fans to Use Native American Names, Imagery and Gestures?
179. Brady’s Big Move : How do you feel about Tom Brady leaving the Patriots? 180. Tiger Woods Wins : What are the greatest comebacks in history? 181. Referees : Do sports officials deserve more respect? 182. $430 Million Deal : Is any athlete worth that amount of money? 183. Super Bowl Commercials : Was it smart for advertisers to steer clear of controversy in 2019? 184. Champions : What team in any sport would you like to see win a championship? 185. The Outspoken N.B.A. : Should all sports leagues treat political speech as a right for their players? 186. Gymnastics on Horseback : What is the world’s most difficult sport? 187. Tackle Football : Should children under the age of 12 play tackle football, in your opinion? 188. Breakdancing : Should dance be an Olympic event? 189. Coed Sports : Do you think women and men should compete against each other in sports? 190. Super Bowl Halftime Performer : Whom would you choose to perform at the Super Bowl, and why? 191. Colin Kaepernick’s Protest : What do you think of this protest?
192. Should Parents Track Their Children? 193. Who Should Decide Whether a Teenager Can Get a Tattoo or Piercing? 194. Is It Harder to Grow Up in the 21st Century Than It Was in the Past? 195. Is Childhood Today Over-Supervised? 196. How Should Parents Talk to Their Children About Drugs? 197. What Should We Call Your Generation? 198. Do Parents Ever Cross a Line by Helping Too Much With Schoolwork? 199. What’s the Best Way to Discipline Children? 200. What Are Your Thoughts on ‘Snowplow Parents’? 201. Should Stay-at-Home Parents Be Paid? 202. When Do You Become an Adult?
203. Household Chores : Do you think children should help out around the house? 204. Spy Cams : Should parents use smart devices to keep tabs on their children when they’re home alone? 205. Adults With Rainbow Hair : Are there some trends adults just should not try? 206. Parenting Skills : Should parents say “no” more often when their children ask for new things?
207. Should Students Be Monitored When Taking Online Tests? 208. What Makes a Great Leader? 209. Is It OK to Laugh During Dark Times? 210. Is It Immoral to Increase the Price of Goods During a Crisis? 211. Would You Allow an Ex-Prisoner to Live With You? 212. Would You Return a Lost Wallet? (What if It Had Lots of Money in It?) 213. Is It Wrong to Focus on Animal Welfare When Humans Are Suffering? 214. Is Animal Testing Ever Justified? 215. Should We Be Concerned With Where We Get Our Pets? 216. Is This Exhibit Animal Cruelty or Art? 217. Should Extinct Animals Be Resurrected? If So, Which Ones? 218. Why Do Bystanders Sometimes Fail to Help When They See Someone in Danger? 219. Is It Ethical to Create Genetically Edited Humans? 220. Should Reporters Ever Help the People They Are Covering? 221. Is It OK to Use Family Connections to Get a Job? 222. Is $1 Billion Too Much Money for Any One Person to Have? 223. Are We Being Bad Citizens If We Don’t Keep Up With the News? 224. Should Prisons Offer Incarcerated People Education Opportunities? 225. Should Law Enforcement Be Able to Use DNA Data From Genealogy Websites for Criminal Investigations? 226. Should We Treat Robots Like People?
227. World’s Big Sleep Out : What lengths would you go to in support of a worthy cause? 228. Tipping : Do you leave a tip whenever you’re asked to? 229. Cash Reward : Should you accept a cash reward for doing the right thing? 230. Cheating : Would you tell if you caught your classmates cheating? 231. Do Not Resuscitate : Should doctors have tried to revive this man? 232. Hitler and History : Should the bunker where Hitler killed himself be a tourist attraction? 233. Solving Global Problems : As the head of a global foundation, what problem would you solve?
234. Should the Death Penalty Be Abolished? 235. If You Were a Member of Congress, Would You Vote to Impeach President Trump? 236. Who Do You Think Should Be Person of the Year for 2020? 237. Should the United States Decriminalize the Possession of Drugs? 238. What Would You Do First if You Were the New President? 239. Does Everyone Have a Responsibility to Vote? 240. How Should We Remember the Problematic Actions of the Nation’s Founders? 241. Do You Care Who Sits on the Supreme Court? Should We Care? 242. Is the Electoral College a Problem? Does It Need to Be Fixed? 243. Are Presidential Debates Helpful to Voters? Or Should They Be Scrapped? 244. Is Your Generation Doing Its Part to Strengthen Our Democracy? 245. Should We All Be Able to Vote by Mail? 246. What Issues in the 2020 Presidential Race Are Most Important to You? 247. Do You Think the American Dream Is Real? 248. Should Plastic Bags Be Banned Everywhere? 249. Does the United States Owe Reparations to the Descendants of Enslaved People? 250. Do You Think It Is Important for Teenagers to Participate in Political Activism? 251. Should the Voting Age Be Lowered to 16? 252. What Should Lawmakers Do About Guns and Gun Violence? 253. Should Confederate Statues Be Removed or Remain in Place? 254. Does the U.S. Constitution Need an Equal Rights Amendment? 255. Should National Monuments Be Protected by the Government? 256. Should Free Speech Protections Include Self Expression That Discriminates? 257. How Important Is Freedom of the Press? 258. Should Ex-Felons Have the Right to Vote? 259. Should Marijuana Be Legal? 260. Should the United States Abolish Daylight Saving Time? 261. Should the U.S. Ban Military-Style Semiautomatic Weapons? 262. Should the U.S. Get Rid of the Electoral College? 263. What Do You Think of President Trump’s Use of Twitter? 264. Should Celebrities Weigh In on Politics? 265. Why Is It Important for People With Different Political Beliefs to Talk to Each Other? 266. Should Athletes Speak Out On Social and Political Issues?
267. Government Buildings : Should they all look like the Lincoln Memorial? 268. Oprah for President : Would you vote for her if you could? 269. Peaceful Protesting : In what ways can you demonstrate peacefully to express your views? 270. Student Climate Strikes : What issues do you think deserve more attention? 271. Pennies : Should the United States get rid of the penny? 272. Mandatory Voting? : Should citizens who are 18 or older be required to vote? 273. Dabbing in Congress : Should this teenager have dabbed in his father’s official swearing-in photo? 274. Baby Bonds : Should the government give money to babies?
275. We Document Life’s Milestones. How Should We Document Death? 276. Does Reality TV Deserve Its Bad Rap? 277. Do Marriage Proposals Still Have a Place in Today’s Society? 278. Should We Rethink Thanksgiving? 279. How Do You Decide What News to Believe, What to Question and What to Dismiss? 280. Should the Week Be Four Days Instead of Five? 281. Should Public Transit Be Free? 282. How Important Is Knowing a Foreign Language? 283. Is There a ‘Right Way’ to Be a Tourist? 284. Should Your Significant Other Be Your Best Friend? 285. What Do You Think of the #WalkUpNotOut Movement?
286. Teenage Drivers : What do you think of Georgia’s decision to issue driver’s licenses without road tests? 287. Snow Days : How do you feel about winter weather? 288. Fortune Tellers : Do you believe in psychics? 289. Big City, Small Town : Which would you rather live in? Why? 290. Game Show Winner : Would you ever want to be a contestant on a game show? 291. Fast-Food Buffet : Is this the feast of your dreams or your nightmares? 292. Public Libraries : Are libraries still relevant and important today? 293. Trans Fats : Should trans fats be banned around the world? 294. Dolls : If you could have your favorite toy company make a doll of someone, who would it be and why? 295. Creepy Clowns : How do you feel about clowns? 296. Tattoos : How do you feel about tattooing in general? 297. Brushing Beagle : What are the best dog breeds, in your opinion? 298. U.F.O.s : Do you believe that U.F.O.s are signs of alien life? 299. Small Talk : Do you have the gift of gab? 300. Lottery Winnings : Would you want to win the lottery? Why or why not?
50 Argumentative Essay Topics
Illustration by Catherine Song. ThoughtCo.
- M.Ed., Education Administration, University of Georgia
- B.A., History, Armstrong State University
An argumentative essay requires you to decide on a topic and take a position on it. You'll need to back up your viewpoint with well-researched facts and information as well. One of the hardest parts is deciding which topic to write about, but there are plenty of ideas available to get you started.
Choosing a Great Argumentative Essay Topic
Students often find that most of their work on these essays is done before they even start writing. This means that it's best if you have a general interest in your subject, otherwise you might get bored or frustrated while trying to gather information. (You don't need to know everything, though.) Part of what makes this experience rewarding is learning something new.
It's best if you have a general interest in your subject, but the argument you choose doesn't have to be one that you agree with.
The subject you choose may not necessarily be one that you are in full agreement with, either. You may even be asked to write a paper from the opposing point of view. Researching a different viewpoint helps students broaden their perspectives.
Ideas for Argument Essays
Sometimes, the best ideas are sparked by looking at many different options. Explore this list of possible topics and see if a few pique your interest. Write those down as you come across them, then think about each for a few minutes.
Which would you enjoy researching? Do you have a firm position on a particular subject? Is there a point you would like to make sure to get across? Did the topic give you something new to think about? Can you see why someone else may feel differently?
50 Possible Topics
A number of these topics are rather controversial—that's the point. In an argumentative essay, opinions matter and controversy is based on opinions, which are, hopefully, backed up by facts. If these topics are a little too controversial or you don't find the right one for you, try browsing through persuasive essay and speech topics as well.
- Is global climate change caused by humans?
- Is the death penalty effective?
- Is our election process fair?
- Is torture ever acceptable?
- Should men get paternity leave from work?
- Are school uniforms beneficial?
- Do we have a fair tax system?
- Do curfews keep teens out of trouble?
- Is cheating out of control?
- Are we too dependent on computers?
- Should animals be used for research?
- Should cigarette smoking be banned?
- Are cell phones dangerous?
- Are law enforcement cameras an invasion of privacy?
- Do we have a throwaway society?
- Is child behavior better or worse than it was years ago?
- Should companies market to children?
- Should the government have a say in our diets?
- Does access to condoms prevent teen pregnancy?
- Should members of Congress have term limits?
- Are actors and professional athletes paid too much?
- Are CEOs paid too much?
- Should athletes be held to high moral standards?
- Do violent video games cause behavior problems?
- Should creationism be taught in public schools?
- Are beauty pageants exploitative ?
- Should English be the official language of the United States?
- Should the racing industry be forced to use biofuels?
- Should the alcohol drinking age be increased or decreased?
- Should everyone be required to recycle?
- Is it okay for prisoners to vote (as they are in some states)?
- Is it good that same-sex couples are able to marry?
- Are there benefits to attending a single-sex school ?
- Does boredom lead to trouble?
- Should schools be in session year-round ?
- Does religion cause war?
- Should the government provide health care?
- Should abortion be illegal?
- Are girls too mean to each other?
- Is homework harmful or helpful?
- Is the cost of college too high?
- Is college admission too competitive?
- Should euthanasia be illegal?
- Should the federal government legalize marijuana use nationally ?
- Should rich people be required to pay more taxes?
- Should schools require foreign language or physical education?
- Is affirmative action fair?
- Is public prayer okay in schools?
- Are schools and teachers responsible for low test scores?
- Is greater gun control a good idea?
- Preparing an Argument Essay: Exploring Both Sides of an Issue
- Controversial Speech Topics
- Tips on How to Write an Argumentative Essay
- Bad Essay Topics for College Admissions
- 25 Essay Topics for American Government Classes
- How to Write a Narrative Essay or Speech
- Topic In Composition and Speech
- How to Write a Solid Thesis Statement
- 40 Writing Topics for Argumentative and Persuasive Essays
- MBA Essay Tips
- 61 General Expository Essay Topic Ideas to Practice Academic Writing
- Expository Essay Genre With Suggested Prompts
- Topical Organization Essay
- Middle School Debate Topics
- Supporting Detail in Composition and Speech
- 5 Steps to Writing a Position Paper
By clicking “Accept All Cookies”, you agree to the storing of cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyze site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts.